Ayrshire Archives will be CLOSED to visitors and enquiries from 1st March 2020 in order to prepare for and move Archives HQ to a new purpose built facility in Ayr. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and offer our sincere thanks for your patience and support. Ayrshire Archives will re-open in early 2021. Please check our website and social media platforms for regular updates. Our access points at the Burns Monument Centre, Kilmarnock and Townhouse, Irvine will also be closed.
Ayrshire Archives is the local authority archive service for South Ayrshire Council, East Ayrshire Council and North Ayrshire Council.
The Ayrshire Archives Service was established in 1996 by the three Ayrshire councils to preserve and make accessible Ayrshire’s documentary heritage. The archive service looks after and provides access to records of historical importance belonging to the three local authorities and their predecessors, as well as private records that relate to the historical development of Ayrshire and Arran.
Ayrshire Archives covers the whole of Ayrshire including the Cumbraes and Arran and our collections are located at various repositories across Ayrshire.
The oldest record we hold is the Burgh Charter for the Town of Ayr, dated 1205, and signed by William the Lion, King of Scotland.